Tuesday, August 13, 2013

ANNOUNCEMENT: New Edition of 'Critical Incident' Now Available on Kindle

I'll be honest. Nearly one year ago exactly, when I launched my first Kindle title, 'Critical Incident,' I hadn't yet developed very exemplary self-editing skills as a writer. (Read: 'I really had no business selling people the things I had written.') I've worked very hard since then, and it increasingly bothered me how sloppy that first book was. So much so, in fact, that I decided to do something about it.

For over a month now I've been revising the book in secret, spending nearly as much time revising as I spent writing the thing. In fact, my Word program's 'Compare Documents' feature highlights over three-thousand and three hundred changes made to the book.

I intend to explore some of these changes in at least one future blog post about the rewriting process. Suffice to say, I cut down on the numbers of hads, was-es, weres, and thats by an order of magnitude. I reworded virtually every paragraph. I cut ridiculous lines and added improvements. I expanded a few bits of the story, enlivened some description, de-moron-ified some characters and sliced the crap out of a lot of repetitious nonsense.

The story seemed decent enough, as the book currently has a 4.2 out of 5 star rating based on 37 reviews on Amazon.com, but for every few people who liked it, there were some who were disturbed by the large number of mistakes, poorly worded sentences, and the like. I can't blame these people at all.

All I could do was hunker down and try to apply some of the new skills I've developed in the last eight months towards improving the quality of the writing. I believe I have done that.

If you already own Critical Incident on Kindle, please remove the book from your device and redownload. It won't cost you a thing, but it will supply you with the brand new edition. I hope you enjoy it!

If you have the paperback, you have my most sincere apologies. The paperback will become available once more tomorrow, when the files have been processed, and I assure you it will be greatly improved - featuring page numbers for the first time, among other small enhancements in addition to the new version of the text.

And if you haven't checked Critical Incident out yet, I hope you give it a try! You may have noticed how I haven't been bringing it up lately, opting instead to mention my newer works 'Strange Way Out' and 'For Those With Eyes to See,' where I have been more satisfied with the finished product. No more.

Critical Incident now joins its brethren as books I can honestly say I'm proud to have written.

4 comments:

  1. I love a man who's dedicated to his creft! Thank you, Troy! I'll be downloading it today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Errr, you never spotted the typo in that last comment, okay? It says craft, not creft ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Troy, much success to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All part of growing as a writer, I guess. I bet even Stephen King's early works were a bit iffy in places...!

    ReplyDelete